Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sesame Chicken the end result :P

I happily printed out the recipe before leaving office and took one last glance at it, just incase if I have all the ingredients at home otherwise, I will have to stop by the supermarket to purchase the missing ingredients.

I got home played with my dog and iguana, I put out the chicken to thaw. I prepared the other ingredients, as I was going to reach my handbag for the recipe then I remembered...dang! dang! dang! I neatly folded the recipe and put it in my notebook which I left it in the car...arrrrggghhhhh...

With the little memory I had glancing through the recipe I somehow managed to cook the dish...

Here's the original recipe and those in red are the ingredients I used. Let's see what I missed.

Sesame Chicken with Chinese Cabbage and Broccoli (courtesy of http://www.chinesefood-recipes.com)

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 c. soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp. rice wine or dry sherry
  • 2 tbsp. sesame oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger root
  • 1 tbsp. sugar (I don't use sugar in my dishes unless I'm craving for diabetes)
  • 1/4 c. toasted sesame seeds
  • 2 whole chicken breasts, skinned, boned, and cut in bite-size pieces
  • 3 tbsp. peanut oil
  • 1 c. green onions, cut in 1 inch lengths
  • 3 c. sliced fresh broccoli flowerettes
  • 3 c. Chinese cabbage (I didn't have any in the fridge)
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp. water

Well not bad I didn't miss much did I??

Anyways, let's see if the method I used is similar then what's suggested in the recipe.

Directions:

  1. Trim Chinese cabbage of all but 1 inch of green tops and slice diagonally; slices diagonally in 1/2 inch pieces
  2. In medium bowl, stir together soy sauce, dry sherry, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, sugar, and sesame seeds. Add chicken and marinate at least 1 hour.
  3. In a wok or skillet, heat peanut oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
  4. Add onions, broccoli, and cabbage. Stir fry 1 minute. Transfer to dish; set aside.
  5. Add chicken mixture to wok or skillet (add more oil if needed). Stir fry until pinkness is gone, about 3 minutes.
  6. Remove to dish with slotted spoon. Dissolve cornstarch in water. Add to liquid in wok. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Return chicken and vegetables to sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.

Well, I was busy checking the ingredients I didn't bother reading how the dish is suggested to be made instead this is how I cooked my dish.

I marinated the chicken with rice wine, soy sauce, sesame seed and sesame oil. Then I heated up the oil and added the chilli, onion and garlic. I then added the chicken and let it simmer for awhile before adding the broccoli....here's a blurred low quality pic taken from my handphone.





Not bad eh? Eventhough I didn't prepare it they way it should my husband still gave me 7/10 coz there wasn't enough sauce for him to eat with...this is a prefect dish if you do not have time to cook another vege dish to go with it, well the chicken comes with broccoli...hehehe. Oh!! I added a dash of pepper as it was a little flat without some spice...=))

Try it today!! Now what shall I cook tomorrow night??




No comments:

Post a Comment