Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Wrong choice of recipe…

Not that the dish didn’t come out right and it wasn’t a disaster, the recipe suggested to stir fry the noodles but I improvised it to soup noodles. Maybe it’s just me, there was something missing in it and it was simply flat.

Here’s the original recipe and I used most of the ingredients as it is, as this time I didn't forget to take the recipe with me...hehe....

Ingredients:

  • 8 oz. Medium Egg Noodles, uncooked
  • 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into julienne strips (1 1/2 × 1/4-inch)
  • 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 bunch scallions, chopped (fresh from my garden)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 cup chopped celery (replaced it with kangkung)
  • 1 4-oz. can sliced water chestnuts (couldn’t find any so didn’t replace it with anything)
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. white pepper
  • 1 tsp. dried cilantro (used fresh ones from my garden instead)
  • 2 tbsps. toasted almonds (optional) since it was optional I didn’t use it.
Directions:


  1. Prepare egg noodles according to package directions; drain.
  2. In a large skillet or wok, sauté chicken, carrots, scallions and red bell pepper in oil until chicken is opaque and white, about 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
  3. Add soy sauce, celery, water chestnuts, garlic powder, white pepper and cilantro. Mix all ingredients together, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in cooked egg noodles. Sprinkle with toasted almonds, if desired.

The only difference is I added chicken stock to make it soupy, the dish turned out fine but there was something missing. This isn’t gonna be a dish that I would try it again. Perhaps it wasn’t spicy enough, it was rather flat. My husband, who loves non-spicy dish, didn’t quite like it either. I only scored 4/10 for this dish. Here’s a low quality photo of the finished product.




I should get a better camera!!

No comments:

Post a Comment